Oh hey, guys! Happy New Year!! Yeah, how's it going? Good, good.
So it somehow became 2012 since the last time I was here!
I hope that you all enjoyed wonderful holidays with your families, chosen and/or biological. Katr, Emmy Lou and I experienced two weeks of debauched whimsy, full of really fantastic family, friends and food...oh, so much food. Emmy could barely fit into her Santa outfit!
I know a lot of folks out there are super against New Year's Resolutions because a lot of the time, our resolutions are grandiose and unspecific and therefore unrealizable. And to those folks, I say FUCK YOU, LET ME HAVE MY DREAMS.
As one must, I reviewed my resolutions from last year. Here are the results.
1. No family deaths in 2011! YEAH!!
2. Finish my stupid play that's set in the Yukon. COMPLETE.
3. Weekly blogging. HAHAHAHAA!! Okay, in my defense...yeah, I have nothing. I came out pretty strong at the beginning of the year though and I look forward to doing the same this year - blogging weekly until about...April? Then slowly slacking off until the end of the year when my only motivation to blog becomes my friend Jeba leaving real pushy comments.
4. Word of the Day writing project. NO. This was supposed to be a good way for me to noodle around for 15 minutes a day, you know, so that I could really force myself to write even when I didn't feel like it, leading to literary GOLD. You know what I found out? I'm kind of a wanker. I managed to do this for about three months and deleted it all in disgust and decided to spent my 15 minutes more productively, by doing laundry or playing Plants Vs. Zombies on my iPhone.
5. Watch less TV. YES. This year, my best friend Padu and I started a weekly phone date. We chat in the evenings, when I would ordinarily watch TV. So thanks to Padu, I now watch at least one hour less of TV per week. Baby steps, people. Baby ste-- wait, shut up, Sister Wives is back on.
6. Smell fantastic. YES. Katr's crazy pile of philosophy products for Solstice last year kept me smelling like food pretty much up until right before this year's Solstice, where the only bodywash I had left was Candy Cane and I spent the last couple of weeks before the holidays smelling like a minty foot. Fortunately, Santa once again gifted me truly insane amounts of deliciousness this year, so I'm back to smelling like gingerbread, eggnog and cherry crisp. JEALOUS?
7. Reduce the stash. NO. This was going fairly well until Sundara Yarn brought out Water Lily in the spring. And then Porcini in the fall. And then Monet's Basilica and Grand Canal of Venice in the winter. I'M A HUMAN WITH EYES. I HAD to buy these. But hey - I DID do some good knitting this year, which I will feature in a later post, so get ready.
Photo credit: countingstitches, whose stash is epic
That's it for last year - and obviously "Weekly Blogging", "Smell Fantastic" and "Reduce the Stash" are all rolling over into this year - but what about this year's grandiose goals of unattainability? Here's what I came up with:
1. Bi-weekly Yoga. By that I meant yoga twice a week, not weekly bisexual yoga. As I mentioned in my yoga post, I was pretty sure I'd hate yoga but our teacher is adorable and we are digging the namaste. Ideally, we'd do yoga MORE than twice a week, but right now, twice a week is the number of times Jane shows up and makes us do yoga.
2. Sugar cleanse. I'm generally against cleanses, because they make you unfun and also I suck at them. But I think that cutting out sugar for a defined period of time (say, a week) would be a helpful exercise, if only to find out how crazy I get. I will let you know how it goes, if I don't smash my computer and get arrested for trying to eat the gingerbread trim off the house down the street.
3. Become a yoga douchebag who doesn't eat sugar. Hahahaaa! Just kidding. But I know you were wondering.
4. Brag about the iPad 2 Katr got me for Christmas, which she had engraved and everything so we'd know it was mine, even though SHE only has an iPad 1 and REALLY wants an iPad 2 but giving me fancier technology than she has is just another way she proves her love. COMPLETE. By the way, I named the iPad "Voldemort".
5. Pick something and fucking work on it. I'm not a very original person. I have many one project idea a year. And then, the year after, I have another project idea. Then I think about doing something about these ideas and have another idea. And then when I have time to DO something with these ideas, I can't decide which one to focus on. It's pretty ass and I don't get anything done.
So this year, I've winnowed it down to two ideas and I'm seconds away from deciding which one I'm going to throw all my energy into this year. Seconds away. Annnnnnnny second now.
Okay, that's what I got for now. I hope that 2012 brings all good things to all of you! Stay tuned for my weekly blog post! HA ha! For real this year, guys!